|Chicago, IL, USA||October 8, 2023||Registration Closed|
*Registrations closed on November 17, 2022, for both guaranteed and non guaranteed slots. Non guaranteed entry applicants will be notified about entry status on December 8, 2022
The Bank of America Chicago Marathon held every October in Chicago, Illinois, the USA is one of the largest annual marathons. It is a world Athletics Label Road race and one of the six World Marathon Majors. With its mostly flat course, the Bank of America Chicago Marathon aids fast marathon timings leading to lots of PBs and even world records.
Under the present series, the first Chicago marathon was held on September 25, 1977, and was called the Mayor Daley Marathon. The race has been held every year with the exception of 1987 (only a half-marathon was held) and 2020 (Covid-19 pandemic). Since 2008, the race has been owned and organized by Bank of America and is officially known as the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.
The race is limited to 45,000 runners and those wishing to participate can register after either meeting a time qualifying standard or being selected through a general lottery. Other methods like charity options are also available.
Book Your Stay Near Race Starting Point
Bank of America Chicago Marathon
Race Categories, Dates, Registration, Eligibility & Fees
|Race Date||October 8, 2023||October 7, 2023|
|Start Time||7:20 am onwards*||7:30 am|
|Eligibility Criterion||16 years & above**||8 years & above**|
|Fees U.S. Residents||$230^^||$35^^|
|Fees – Non U.S. Residents||$240^^||$35^^|
|Registration***||Registration closed||Registration closed|
|Expo Details||Venue: Abbott Health & Fitness Expo, McCormick Place Convention Centre 2301, S. Martin Luther King Drive, Chicago, IL
Date & Time: 5th Oct (11am – 6pm), 6th Oct (9am – 6pm), and 7th Oct (9am – 6pm)
^^ A small processing fees is applicable
* Different race start timings as per category – detailed below:
- Marathon Wheelchair (Men): 7:20 am
- Marathon Wheelchair (women): 7:21 am
- Marathon Handcycle: 7:23 am
- Wave 1 (red):7:30 am
- Wave 2 (blue):8:00 am
- Wave 3 (orange): 8:35 am
** Applicants who are below 18 years old need to have permission from a parent/legal guardian to participate in the race.
^ There are multiple ways to enter/apply for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Please check here for more details.
- Non-guaranteed application: Slots allocated through a drawing
- Guaranteed application
- Time Qualifier: Participants meeting the requirements for qualifying time (separate for male & female and various age groups) can get a guaranteed spot.
- Legacy Finisher: Finished at least 5 marathons within the last 10 years.
- Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle Legacy: Limited spots are available for those who finished Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K four or more times since 2008.
- American Development Program: Participants meeting certain qualifying times are eligible to apply under this category. Limited slots are available.
- Para Athletics Program: Participants meeting certain criteria are eligible to apply under this category. Limited slots were available.
- Charity Program: Interested participants can get a guaranteed spot through a charity/fundraising option. While requirements vary from charity to charity, there are minimum requirements starting from $1250. Only charities which are part of the official Bank of America Chicago Marathon Charity program have access to guaranteed access.
- International Tour Group: Interested participants can get a guaranteed spot through an international tour group that is part of the official Bank of America Chicago Marathon International tour program.
- Anyone with 2020 deferred entry and 2022 cancelled entry also eligible.
Information about the Full Marathon Course map for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon 2023 is detailed below.
|Course Map||FM 2023 Course Map||5K 2023 Course Map|
|Start & Finish Map||Start & Finish Map||Start & Finish Map|
The Bank of America Chicago Marathon route is an OUT & BACK course with the below-mentioned Start and Finish points:
|Start Point||Finish Point|
|Grant Park||Grant Park|
Information about the prizes/ awards for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon 2023 not available but below are estimated prize purse basis earlier editions.
|1st Prize||2nd Prize||3rd Prize||4th Prize||5th Prize|
|American Development Bonuses||$10,000||$7,500||$5,000||$2,500||$1,000|
|Top Illinois Finisher||$2,000||$1,500||$1,000||$500||$250|
Other than above, the following time bonuses are also awarded in the bank of America Chicago Marathon.
|Open division (men)|
|Course record (M= 2:05:37 and F= 2:17:18)||$50,000|
|Sub (M=2:06:00 and F2:20:00)||$40,000|
|Sub (M=2:06:30 and F= 2:21:00)||$30,000|
|Sub (M=2:07:00 and 2:22:00)||$20,000|
|Sub (M=2:08:00 and F=2:24:00)||$10,000|
|American development Division|
|Sub (M=2:20:00 and F=2:42:00)||$2,000|
Points to Note for Prize Purse
- Awards are equal for Male and Female participants.
- The top finishers for each of the age divisions below receive a personalized engraved finisher medal.
- Age group medals will be mailed to the winners (following the official verification). Age groups defined as: 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80 & over.
2022 and Earlier Edition Results
- Check Results for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon 2022
- Check Results for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon 2021
- Check Results for Bank of America Marathon – 2020 Virtual edition
- Check Results for earlier editions of Bank of America Chicago Marathon-1996-2019
- Registrations are non-refundable and non-transferrable (unless applied for the “refundable” option during the time of registration by paying extra fees).
- At the expo, the participants need to present their packet pick-up email along with a photo ID to receive their participant packet and participant bag.
- Only self-pick-up is allowed. No other person can be authorized to pick up the participant packet on behalf of the runner.
- Runners would be released in waves. There are 5 corrals in wave 1 (red), 4 corrals in wave 2 (blue), and 4 corrals in wave 3 (orange). Corral is assigned based on the start corral qualifying standards, the information submitted during the application process (qualifying and estimated finish times), and previous Bank of America Chicago Marathon results. Please check corral qualifying standards here.
- A free mobile app is available to aid both runners & spectators. The mobile app is available on the App StoreOpens a Dialog and Google PlayOpens a Dialog.
- Pacers are available from the Nike Pace Team who will pace groups of runners according to the following finish times: 3:00, 3:05, 3:10, 3:15, 3:20, 3:25, 3:30, 3:35, 3:40, 3:45, 3:50, 3:55, 4:00, 4:10, 4:20, 4:30, 4:40, 4:50, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30 and 5:45.
- There are 20 aid stations located along the course. Each aid station has Medical Tent with access to a Runner Transport vehicle*, Toilet facilities, Gatorade Endurance Formula (lemon-lime flavor), a Public address announcer, and water. Gatorade Endurance Energy Gels will be available in Caramel Candy, Mango, and Apple Pear flavors at Aid Stations 10 and 14. Aid stations 15-18 will offer bananas.
- Time limit applicable on the course for after which the course is thrown open to normal traffic.
- Full Marathon –6 hrs 30 min
- 5K- 45 min
- For further information, participants can check the Bank of America Chicago Marathon FAQs.
Email (FM): firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email (5K): office@chicago5K.com
Mailing address: Bank of America Chicago Marathon, Bank of America, IL4-110-05-04, 110 N. Wacker Drive, Floor 5 – Marathon Suite, Chicago, IL 60606-1511