|New York City, USA||November 5, 2023||Registration Closed*|
*Charity slots open
The TCS New York City Marathon (currently also called New York City Marathon) is an annual marathon held on the first Sunday of November. It is one of the largest marathons in the world, with 53,627 finishers in 2019. Along with the Boston Marathon and Chicago Marathon, it is considered among the most prominent and popular long-distance annual running events in the US and is also one of the six World Marathon Majors.
Inaugurated in 1970, the event is organized by New York Road Runners and has been held every year with 2 exceptions-in 2012 (due to Hurricane Sandy) and in 2020 (due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
The course is USATF certified and takes the participants through the five boroughs of New York City starting on Staten Island, and passing through Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx, before finishing in Central Park.
Because of the popularity of the race, participation is chosen largely by a lottery system. Guaranteed entry to the marathon can be gained by satisfying the certain requirements set forth by organizers.
Book Your Stay Near Race Starting Point
TCS New York City Marathon
Race Categories, Dates, Registration, Eligibility & Fees
|Eligibility Criterion||18 years & above|
|Expo Details*||Venue: Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, Hall 3B, 3D & 3E, @11th Avenue @West 36th Street
Date & Timings: Nov 2 (10am – 8pm), Nov 3 (10am-8pm) & Nov 4 (9am-5pm)
Runners must select a time slot in runners’ NYRR dashboard to pick their race material; Selection available from Aug 16
*Details of expo venue, etc. for the TCS NYC Marathon 2023 have not yet been released. Above are details from TCS NYC Marathon 2022 for reference.
Runners must select a time slot to pick up their materials; selection is available in runners’ NYRR dashboards from 12:00 p.m. on August 16 until 4:00 p.m. ET on November 4.
^ The participants of the TCS NYC Marathon are usually divided into starting waves and corrals based on their anticipated finish time entered during the registration or recent fastest finish time.
^^There are various ways to enter the TCS New York City Marathon:
- Non-guaranteed entry through Lottery#
- Guaranteed entry through Time qualifiers@
- Guaranteed entry through International Tour operators
- Guaranteed entry through Charity
- Guaranteed entry through NYRR 9+1 program**
- Guaranteed entry through 15+legacy Program***
- Complimentary entry through ‘Race free’****
# Runners who do not have guaranteed entry to the race can apply to the non-guaranteed general entry drawing
The entries available to non-guaranteed applicants will be filled through three drawings, one in each of the following applicant pools:
1. “NYC metro area” applicants: Residents in and within 60 miles of New York City
2. “National” applicants: U.S. residents outside of the NYC metro area
3. “International” applicants: Non-U.S. residents, including Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories
**To qualify for the NYRR 9+1 program, you need to be an NYRR member and complete nine NYRR-scored, qualifying races, and volunteer for one event during the prior calendar year.
***15+ Legacy program: This option is most feasible for those in the New York tri-state area, as all of the NYRR’s races take place in the five boroughs of New York City. The 15+ Legacy Program guarantees entry for life for those who have completed 15 New York City Marathons.
****As part of NYRR mission to help and inspire people through running, they offer annually a limited number of complimentary race entries through Race Free. To learn more & apply for ‘Race free’ entry please click here.
Information about Route Map for TCS New York City Marathon 2023 is given below.
The TCS New York City Marathon route has a POINT-TO-POINT course with the below-mentioned Start and Finish points:
|Start Point||Finish Point|
|Verrazano–Narrows Bridge on Staten Island||Central Park, Manhattan|
Information about awards/ prize money for TCS New York City Marathon 2023 has not yet been released. For the TCS NYC Marathon 2022, the following awards/ prize money was handed out.
- To be eligible for prize money at the TCS New York City Marathon, a runner must complete the course in 3 hours, 10 minutes, or faster. Prize money categories may be subject to additional eligibility requirements, outlined below.
- The total prize money is to be shared among the Open division, USA division, NYRR member division, Masters Division, Non-Binary Division, and Professional Wheelchair. Below is the prize money and how to be eligible for each division.
- All prizes are shared equally between both men and women categories and are based on gun time.
|Total Award Money||Award details||Eligibility|
|Open Division||$534,000 – divided equally between men & women||Top 10 men & women
1st: $ 100,000
2nd: $ 60,000
3rd: $ 40,000
4th: $ 25,00a0
5th: $ 15,000
6th: $ 10,000
7th: $ 7,500
8th: $ 5,000
9th: $ 2,500
10th: $ 2,000
|Professional Athletes or Invited Athlete start|
|USA Division||$116,000- divided equally between men & women||Top 5 men & women
1st: $ 25,000
2nd: $ 15,000
3rd: $ 10,000
4th: $ 5,000
5th: $ 3,000
|NYRR member Division||$38,000- divided equally between men & women||Open: Top 5 men & women are awarded cash prizes
1st: $ 5,000
2nd: $ 4,000
3rd: $ 3,000
4th: $ 2,000
5th: $ 1,000Masters: Top 4 men & women are awarded cash prizes
1st: $ 500
2nd: $ 250
3rd: $ 150
4th: $ 100Team: Top 3 teams are awarded cash prizes
1st: $ 1,500
2nd: $ 1,000
3rd: $ 500
|Masters Division||$12,000- divided equally between men & women||Top 3 men & women
1st: $ 3,000
2nd: $ 2,000
3rd: $ 1,000
|Professional Wheelchair Division||$77,500- divided equally between men & women||Top 6 winners
1st: $ 25,000
2nd: $ 20,000
3rd: $ 15,000
4th: $ 10,000
5th: $ 5,000
6th: $ 2,500
|Non Binary Division||$15,000||Top 5 winners
1st: $ 5,000
2nd: $ 4,000
3rd: $ 3,000
4th: $ 2,000
5th: $ 1,000
|An athlete must have identified as Non-Binary at the time of registration.|
*Prize money from the top 10 Open Division finish positions is subject to the 1.5% World Athletics “Athlete Levy” to support the World Athletics Label Road Race anti-doping testing program.
**Athletes who start in the Professional Athlete Invitational Start will receive first priority for NYRR Member Division prize money. Additional prize money positions, if applicable, will be filled from the Wave 1 start, based on net time.
Following Time Bonuses are also available:
- Open and Wheelchair Division: NYRR will pay a $50,000 bonus to the Open Division and/or Wheelchair Division race winners who break the existing event record. This bonus is limited to the race winners only. Athletes must break, not tie, the record.
- NYRR Member Division: Cumulative with prize money and bonuses listed above; only the highest eligible amount will be awarded.
1st : $1,000
2021 and Earlier Edition Results
- Check Results for TCS New York City Marathon 2022
- Check Results for TCS New York City Marathon 2021
- Check Results for TCS New York City Marathon 2019
- Check Results for TCS New York City Marathon 2018
- Check Results for TCS New York City Marathon 2017
- Check Results for TCS New York City Marathon 2016
- Check Results for All Earlier editions of the TCS New York City Marathon
- Once a runner has claimed their entry, or once a drawing applicant has been accepted into the race, all entry fees are non-refundable.
- Runners entered in the 2023 TCS New York City Marathon may cancel their entry and earn non-complementary guaranteed entry to the 2024 race, but they will be responsible for claiming their entry and paying the processing and entry fees for the 2024 race.
- Starting January 1, 2023, and in accordance with New York State and the City of New York protocols and guidelines:
- Participants in NYRR races and youth participants in Rising New York Road Runners events are not required to have proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
- Runners will not be required to wear a face covering while in the start corral, on the course, or in the post-finish area.
- Face coverings are not required at the NYRR RUNCENTER or other indoor venues.
- Mile markers are posted at every mile. Before mile 8, markers are color-coded to correspond to runners’ start color. From mile 8 onward, all mile markers are blue. Yellow Kilometer signs are posted every 5km
- All course clocks are set to correspond to wave 1. Timing mats are located at the start, every 5K, halfway (13.1 miles), mile 20, and the finish.
- Flow Alkaline Spring Water and Gatorade® Endurance Formula™ Lemon-Lime Flavor will be available at official fluid stations every mile from mile 3 to mile 25 except at miles 5, 7, and 9 (to be confirmed). Energy Gels would also be available at limited aid stations
- Portable toilets (including wheelchair-accessible ones) and Medical Aid stations are located at every mile beginning at mile 3.
- Interested runners can earn guaranteed, non-complimentary entry to the 2024 TCS New York City Marathon by completing our 9+1 program in 2023. Run nine qualifying races and complete one volunteer opportunity before December 31, 2023 to qualify.
- Handcycle and push-rim applicants should apply to the non-guaranteed entry drawing. The race does not permit entry by a person intending to be pushed in a wheelchair, stroller or other piece of equipment by another person or persons. To be accepted for entry, “disabled” applicants planning to use a wheelchair or other allowable equipment must be able to “push” themselves through the marathon course. While official “guides” are permitted to accompany a disabled entrant on the course, such guides cannot push the entrant through the course.
- Time limits are applicable for all the races after which the course would be open for regular vehicular traffic.
- Full Marathon: 6 hr 30 min (Course closes at 8:30 pm)
Address: NYRR RUNCENTER, 320 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019
Phone: + 1 855-569-6977
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Website: www.nycmarathon.org & https://www.nyrr.org/tcsnycmarathon