|Kangerlussuaq, Greenland||TBD||Registration Not yet open|
The Polar Circle Marathon, also popularly referred to as “the coolest marathon on Earth” is held in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. The endless icy landscape forms the backdrop for this unusual race which takes the runners race through the arctic desert, glaciers and bare landscapes. This marathon event provides runners with a rare opportunity to visit one of the most remote corners of the world while daring to take part in an extremely challenging running event.
The Polar Circle Marathon is a part of the extreme marathon series hosted by Adventure Marathon. Albatros Adventure Marathons – not only provides packages for The Polar Circle Marathon but also offers packages for other races listed below:
• First Light Marathon
• Lost City Marathon
• Great Wall Marathon
• Icefjord Midnight Marathon
• Island Volcano Marathon
• Petra Desert Marathon
• World’s Fastest Marathon
• Big Five Marathon
• Bagan Temple Marathon
Book Your Stay Near Race Finish Point
Polar Circle Marathon:
Race Categories, Dates, Registration, Eligibility & Fees
|Distance||42.2 km||21.1 km|
|Date/ Date||Saturday/ TBD||Sunday/ TBD|
|Start Time ^||8:30 am||8:30 am|
|Eligibility Criterion||18 years & above||16 years & above|
|Fees – Race fees||Euro 350||Euro 350|
|Fees – Polar Bear Challenge fees ^^||Euro 450|
|Fees – Package||Euro 2295 & Up (single room supplement Euro +195 & Up)|
|Registration#||For International runners: Registration not yet open
For Local residents: Registration not yet open
|Bib Pick-up/ Briefing Details ^||For International participants, the 2023 pick up venue was at Albatros HQ or alternatively At Copenhagen Airport before flight departure
For Local participants, the 2023 pick up venue was at Hotel Kangerlussuaq
^ Details of Race Start time, Expo details, etc. for the Polar Circle Marathon 2024 has not yet been released. Above are details from the 2023 race event for reference
^^ Polar Bear Challenge : Participants run the Full Marathon on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday to complete the Polar Bear Challenge
# Race entry depends on your residential status: Please check here for more details
1. International participants: Race entry is ONLY possible in conjunction with a multi-day tour package. The packages include accommodation, social events, sightseeing, and select meals and transportation per the itinerary. Race entry fees is separate.
2. Residents of Greenland: Participants who meet the necessary Greenlandic residency requirements are eligible for local entry, which includes only the race. As proof of eligibility, residents and citizens of Greenland must present a current, valid residency permit and/or employer certificate. Upon receiving the entry, you will be requested copies of your official documentation
Route / Course Map
Information about the course maps & other details for the Polar Circle Marathon 2024 not yet available. Please check the information from the 2023 event below. The Polar Circle Marathon route is a POINT TO POINT course with below mentioned start & finish points
|Course Map||Elevation Map||Starting Point||Finish Point|
|Marathon||Course Map||Elevation Map||Near Ice Sheet||Polar Lodge|
|Half Marathon||Course Map||—||Near Ice Sheet||Long Lake, Near Sanddrift valley|
All finishers receive a medal. A small, symbolic prize is given to the winners of both distances for men and women. Please note that there is no prize money.
2023 and Earlier Edition Results
- Check Results for Polar Circle Marathon – 2023 – all distances here
- Check Results for Polar Circle Marathon – 2022 – all distances here
- Check Results for Polar Circle Marathon – All editions & all distances here
- Payment: At the time of booking, a 25% deposit will be charged to your payment card. The remaining 75% of the trip price will be charged 75 days prior to departure. If your trip is booked less than 75 days prior to departure, the full amount will be charged.
- Change of distance: It is possible to change the distance you want to run up to 10 days before the race starts.
- Valid visa and passport is necessary for entry into Greenland
- Travel insurance: All travellers must be suitably insured.
- Travel restrictions: All travel participants must be self-reliant. Wheelchair users and people with a motor handicap are welcome but please consult the travel agency before booking a tour. The travel agency reserves the right to decline participants who will not be able to participate in the tour on their own.
- Surface: The running surface varies from gravel to Ice and maybe even Snow (hence spikes are compulsory).
- Clothing: Participants are advised to read the advisory of clothing and shoes before registering for the race
- Aid stations: There will be water stations approximately every 5 kilometres. Some stations will also serve energy drinks and bananas. Marathon runners will be offered energy gels
- Time limit applicable on the course
Marathon –7 hrs
Half Marathon- 4 hrs
- Terms & conditions: Please read more about Albatros Adventure Marathons Terms & Conditions here.
- Albatroz Adventure Marathons has a number of travel partners around the world. You can check the list of travel partners here
Mailing address: Albatros Adventure Marathons, Tøndergade 16, DK-1752 Copenhagen V, Denmark
Tel: +45 36 98 98 38