|Tianjin Province, China||May 18, 2024||Registration Open|
Great Wall Marathon is a running event which is held in Tianjin province in China. Organized annually since 1999, the Great Wall Marathon has become one of the world’s most challenging marathons which takes the participants along the spectacular Great Wall (in the venue of Huangyaguan), threading through local villages and hilly routes ending with challenging last steps of the tower (5,164 to be exact!).
The event has grown over the years from a mere 350 runners to a sell-out event of 2500 runners and offers a marathon, half marathon and a fun run
Great Wall Marathon is a part of the extreme marathon series hosted by Adventure Marathon. Albatros Adventure Marathons – not only provides packages for Great Wall Marathon but also offers packages for other races listed below:
- First Light Marathon
- Lost City Marathon
- Icefjord Midnight Marathon
- Big Five Marathon
- Island Volcano Marathon
- Petra Desert Marathon
- World’s Fastest Marathon
- Polar Circle Marathon
- Bagan Temple Marathon
Book Your Stay Near Race Starting Point
Great Wall Marathon:
Race Categories, Dates, Registration, Eligibility & Fees
|Marathon||Half Marathon||Fun Run|
|Distance||42.2 km||21.1 km||8.5 km|
|Start Time||8:00 am||8:00 am||8:00 am|
|Eligibility Criterion||18 years & above||16 year & above||12 years & above^|
|Fees – Race fees #||Not specified||Not specified||Not specified|
|Fees – Package #||USD 1695 & Up (single room supplement USD +350)|
|Registration#||For International runners: Register here
For surrounding area runners & Local residents: Please Contact organizers
|Bib Pick-up/ Briefing Details||Date & Venue: TBD|
^ Fun Run participants under the age of 12 are also allowed to run, so long as they are accompanied by a runner aged 16 or above.
# Race entry depends on your residential status: Please check here for more details
International participants: Race entry is ONLY possible in conjunction with a multi-day tour package. The packages include accommodation, social events, sightseeing, and select meals and transportation per the itinerary. Race entry fees is separate.
Residents of Surrounding Regions: Participants who reside in one of the eligible surrounding countries, and meet the necessary residency requirements, are eligible for a special entry package. Qualifying countries are Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor Leste, Vietnam. As proof of eligibility, residents and citizens of the above-mentioned countries must present a current, valid residency permit or passport. Upon receiving the entry, you will be requested copies of your official, government-issued documentation
Residents of China: Participants who meet the necessary Chinese residency requirements are eligible for local entry, which includes only the race. As proof of eligibility, residents and citizens of China must present a current, valid residency permit and/or passport. Upon receiving the entry, you will be requested copies of your official, government-issued documentation
Route / Course Map
Please check information about the course maps & other details for the Great Wall Marathon 2024 below. The Great Wall Marathon route is an OUT & BACK course with below mentioned start & finish points
|Course Map||Elevation Map||Starting Point||Finish Point|
|Marathon / Half Marathon / Fun Run||Course Map||Elevation Map||Yin & Yang Square, Fortress of the Huanyaguang section, Great Wall, Tianjin province.||Yin & Yang Square, Fortress of the Huanyaguang section, Great Wall, Tianjin province|
All finishers of the Fun Run marathon receive a medal. A small, symbolic prize is given to the winners of both distances for men and women. Please note that there is no prize money.
2023 and Earlier Edition Results
- Payment: At the time of booking, a 25% deposit will be charged to your payment card. The remaining 75% of the trip price will be charged 75 days prior to departure. If your trip is booked less than 75 days prior to departure, the full amount will be charged.
- Change of distance: It is possible to change the distance you want to run up to 10 days before the race starts.
- Valid visa and passport is a must to travel to China
- Travel insurance: All travelers must be suitably insured.
- Travel restrictions: All travel participants must be self-reliant. Wheelchair users and people with a motor handicap are welcome but please consult the travel agency before booking a tour. The travel agency reserves the right to decline participants who will not be able to participate in the tour on their own.
- Surface: The Great Wall Marathon is mainly run on asphalt roads in fair condition. The section along the Great Wall consists of steps in varying height /width, made of brick and others of uneven stone. A few places on the wall section also have no steps but instead a ramp of rocks and concrete. These ramps can be slippery. Extra precaution should be taken when running these parts. Additionally in some of the villages, the surface is gravel and dirt roads.
- Aid stations: There will be water stations approximately every 4 kilometres. Some stations will also serve energy drinks and bananas. Marathon runners will be offered energy gels
- Time limit applicable on the course
- Marathon –8 hrs
- Half Marathon- 8 hrs
- Fun Run – 8 hrs
- Terms & conditions: Please read more about Albatros Adventure Marathons Terms & Conditions here.
- Albatroz Adventure Marathons has a number of travel partners around the world. You can check the list of travel partners here
- Mailing address: Albatros Adventure Marathons, Tøndergade 16, DK-1752 Copenhagen V, Denmark
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +45 36 98 98 38
- Website: https://great-wall-marathon.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/greatwallmarathon/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/albatrosadventuremarathons/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AdventureMarathon
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/albatros-adventure-marathons/