|September 7, 2024
Petra Desert Marathon is a running event which is held in the ancient city of Petra, Jordan. Organized since 2009, the event offers a marathon and half marathon as a part of adventure tourism.
Petra Desert Marathon is a part of the extreme marathon series hosted by Adventure Marathon. The course of the race is more challenging than average marathons because of the many steep ascents and descents. Petra, also called the “Rose City”, is an ancient city which lies hidden among the rugged cliffs of the Jordanian desert and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Albatros Adventure Marathons – not only provides packages for Petra Desert Marathon but also offers packages for other races listed below:
- First Light Marathon
- Lost City Marathon
- Icefjord Midnight Marathon
- Great Wall Marathon
- Big Five Marathon
- Island Volcano Marathon
- World’s Fastest Marathon
- Polar Circle Marathon
- Bagan Temple Marathon
Book Your Stay Near Race Starting Point
Petra Desert Marathon:
Race Categories, Dates, Registration, Eligibility & Fees
|18 years & above
|16 years & above
|Fees – Race fees #
|Fees – Package #
|Standard package: USD 1395 (single room supplement USD +345)
Comfort package: USD 1595 (single room supplement USD +650)
Deluxe package: USD 1895 (single room supplement USD +675)
|Race Briefing Details
|Date : September 6, 2024
# Race entry depends on your residential status: Please check here for more details
International participants: Race entry is ONLY possible in conjunction with a multi-day tour package. The packages include accommodation, social events, sightseeing, and select meals and transportation per the itinerary. Race entry fees is separate. Check details of entry package here
Residents of Surrounding Regions: Participants who reside in one of the eligible surrounding countries, and meet the necessary residency requirements, are eligible for a special 1-night/2-day entry package. Qualifying countries are Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel & The Palestinian Territories, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen. As proof of eligibility, residents and citizens of the above-mentioned countries must present a current, valid residency permit or passport. Upon receiving the entry, you will be requested copies of your official, government-issued documentation
Residents of Jordan: If you are a resident or citizen of Jordan, then you are eligible for local entry, which includes only the race. As proof of eligibility, residents and citizens of Jordan must present a current, valid residency permit and/or passport. Upon receiving the entry, you will be requested copies of your official, government-issued documentation
Route / Course Map
Information about the course maps & other details for the Petra Desert Marathon 2024 is detailed below. The Petra Desert Marathon route is an OUT & BACK course with below mentioned start & finish points
|Marathon / Half Marathon
|Street of Facades
(Runners to walk from Petra Visitor Centre)
|Petra Visitor Centre
2023 and Earlier Edition Results
- Check Results for Petra Desert Marathon 2023 here
- Check Results for Petra Desert Marathon 2022 here
- Check Results for Petra Desert Marathon earlier editions here
- Payment: At the time of booking, a 25% deposit will be charged to your payment card. The remaining 75% of the trip price will be charged 75 days prior to departure. If your trip is booked less than 75 days prior to departure, the full amount will be charged.
- Transfer of Registration: If practically possible, transferring one’s tour, (instead of cancelling it) to family or friends on the condition of paying a transfer fee is an option. The request for change must be made 75 days prior to the start date of the trip in question. Transfer of registration to another race or next year’s race can also be made but only once
- Change of distance: It is possible to change the distance you want to run up to 10 days before the race starts.
- Cancellation: In the event of the customer’s cancellation of a tour up to 75 days prior to departure, the deposit will not be reimbursed. With cancellations 75-15 days prior to departure, a handling fee of 85% of the tour price will be charged. In the event of cancellations later than 2 weeks prior to departure, the customer has no claim to reimbursement
- Valid visa and passport is a must to travel to Jordan
- Travel insurance: All travellers must be suitably insured.
- Travel restrictions: All travel participants must be self-reliant. Wheelchair users and people with a motor handicap are welcome but please consult the travel agency before booking a tour. The travel agency reserves the right to decline participants who will not be able to participate in the tour on their own.
- Surface: The route is run on a mixture of gravel and paved roads. The surface in the desert sections is sand with loose rocks
- Kilometre markings: While kilometre signs can be found along the entire route, they may be placed +/- some meters from the exact point. Signs are only for orientation and runners shouldn’t calculate speed based on the signs
- Traffic: Route is not closed off to traffic, but traffic police guards all entries to the route to warn drivers and ask them to slow down. Traffic is not heavy on these roads, but do keep an eye out for cars and trucks while running on paved roads
- Aid stations: There will be water stations approximately every 4 kilometres. Some stations will also serve energy drinks and bananas. Marathon runners will be offered energy gel after 26km and 35km. It is possible to have personal supplies delivered to selected drinks stations.
- Toilets: There won’t be any toilets along the course, which means that there are toilets everywhere! Toilet paper is available at all drink stations. You can deposit used toilet paper in the disposal bins at the drink stations
- Wristband: The marathon route has an out-and-back stretch totalling 18km. At the turn-around point of this stretch (9km out) marathon runners will receive a wristband to prove that they went all the way out. The wristband must be worn for the remainder of the race to the finish line. No wristband = disqualification. The wristband applies to marathon runners only
- Time limit applicable on the course
- Marathon –7 hrs
- Half Marathon- 7 hrs
- Terms & conditions: Please read more about Albatros Adventure Marathons Terms & Conditions here.
- Travel partners: Albatroz Adventure Marathons has a number of travel partners around the world. You can check the list of travel partners here
- Mailing address: Albatros Adventure Marathons, Tøndergade 16, DK-1752 Copenhagen V
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +45 36 98 98 38
- Website: https://petra-desert-marathon.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/petradesertmarathon/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/albatrosadventuremarathons/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AdventureMarathon
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/albatros-adventure-marathons/