|Savannah of Entabeni||June 15, 2024||Registration Open|
The Big Five Marathon is a running event which is held in the South-Africa’s Savannah of Entabeni which is one of the most spectacular game reserves in Africa. Organized annually, the Big Five Marathon takes the runners through a challenging route which crosses right through the habitat of the African game, including the famous Big Five: Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo, Lion and Leopard. With no fences, no rivers and nothing at all separating the runners from the African wildlife, it is truly an adventure
The Big Five Marathon is a part of the extreme marathon series hosted by Adventure Marathon. Albatros Adventure Marathons – not only provides packages for The Big Five Marathon but also offers packages for other races listed below:
- First Light Marathon
- Lost City Marathon
- Great Wall Marathon
- Icefjord Midnight Marathon
- Island Volcano Marathon
- Petra Desert Marathon
- World’s Fastest Marathon
- Polar Circle Marathon
- Bagan Temple Marathon
Book Your Stay Near Race Starting Point
The Big Five Marathon:
Race Categories, Dates, Registration, Eligibility & Fees
|Distance||42.2 km||21.1 km|
|Start Time||9:00 am||9:15 am|
|Eligibility Criterion||18 years & above||18 years & above|
|Fees – Race fees #||Euro 300||Euro 300|
|Fees – Package #||Euro 2500 & Up (single room supplement Euro +600 & Up)|
|Registration#||For International runners: Register here
For Local residents: Please Contact organizers
|Bib Pick-up/ Briefing Details||Date: June 14, 2024 Venue: TBD|
# Race entry depends on your residential status: Please check here for more details
- International participants: Race entry is ONLY possible in conjunction with a multi-day tour package. The packages include accommodation, social events, sightseeing, and select meals and transportation per the itinerary. Race entry fees is separate.
- Residents of South Africa: Participants who meet the necessary South African residency requirements are eligible for local entry, which includes only the race. As proof of eligibility, residents and citizens of South Africa must present a current, valid residency permit and/or passport. Upon receiving the entry, you will be requested copies of your official, government-issued documentation
Route / Course Map
Please check information about the course maps & other details for The Big Five Marathon 2024 below. The Big Five Marathon route is an OUT & BACK course with below mentioned start & finish points
|Course Map||Elevation Map||Starting Point||Finish Point|
|Marathon / Half Marathon||Course Map||Elevation Map||Lakeside Lodge, Upper Escarpment||Lakeside Lodge, Upper Escarpment|
All finishers receive a medal. A small, symbolic prize is given to the winners of both distances for men and women. Please note that there is no prize money.
2023 and Earlier Edition Results
- Check Results for The Big Five Marathon – 2023 – all distances here
- Check Results for The Big Five Marathon – All editions & all distances here
- Payment: At the time of booking, a 25% deposit will be charged to your payment card. The remaining 75% of the trip price will be charged 75 days prior to departure. If your trip is booked less than 75 days prior to departure, the full amount will be charged.
- Change of distance: It is possible to change the distance you want to run up to 10 days before the race starts.
- Valid visa and passport is necessary for entry into South Africa
- Travel insurance: All travellers must be suitably insured.
- Travel restrictions: All travel participants must be self-reliant. Wheelchair users and people with a motor handicap are welcome but please consult the travel agency before booking a tour. The travel agency reserves the right to decline participants who will not be able to participate in the tour on their own.
- Surface: The surface varies from deep sand, dirt tracks and trails to paved roads and pebbly surfaces with holes. Take care when running along surfaces with loose stones and holes. The steep ascent and descent is run on a paved surface.
- Aid stations: There will be water stations approximately every 4 kilometres. Some stations will also serve energy drinks and bananas. Marathon runners will be offered energy gels
- Time limit applicable on the course
Marathon –7 hrs
Half Marathon- 6 hrs 45 min
- Terms & conditions: Please read more about Albatros Adventure Marathons Terms & Conditions here.
- Albatroz Adventure Marathons has a number of travel partners around the world. You can check the list of travel partners here
- Mailing address: Albatros Adventure Marathons, Tøndergade 16, DK-1752 Copenhagen V, Denmark
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +45 36 98 98 38
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bigfivemarathon/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/albatrosadventuremarathons/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AdventureMarathon
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/albatros-adventure-marathons/