|Hill City, South Dakota, USA||October 8, 2023||Registration Open|
The Run Crazy Horse Marathon and Half Marathon (South Dakota) is an annual racing event held during fall in the gorgeous scenery of South Dakota’s Black Hills.
Held near the Mount Rushmore National Monument, one of the nation’s most famous landmarks and the 500 ft. high, crazy horse memorial, the Marathon offers a great tourist attraction. The Memorial is still a work in progress, with no definite end date. It’s funded entirely through private donations, and when complete, it will be the largest sculpture in the world.
The race also serves as a fundraiser both for Habitat for Humanity and for the American Heart Association.
With a race size of 500 to 1000 persons, the Boston Qualifier offers the Run Crazy Horse Marathon, Half Marathon, and 5-Person Relay open to runners, walkers, cyclists, hikers, and horseback riders.
Book Your Stay Near Race Starting Point
Run Crazy Horse Marathon & Half Marathon
Race Categories, Dates, Registration, Eligibility & Fees
|Marathon||Half Marathon||Marathon Relay**||Fast 5K||Kids 1K|
|Race Date||Oct 8, 2023||Oct 8, 2023||Oct 8, 2023||Oct 7, 2023||Oct 7, 2023|
|Start Time||8:00 am||8:00 am||8:00 am||1:00 pm||12:45 pm|
|Eligibility Criterion ***||14 years & above||14 years & above||Not specified but below 14 years allowed||Not specified but below 14 years allowed||Not specified|
|Fees*||$90 & Up||$80 & Up||$250 & Up||$25 & Up||$10 & Up|
|Registration||Register here||Register here||Register here||Register here||Register here|
|Expo Details||Venue: Boys and Girls Club in Hill City. On the corner of McGregor and Railroad Ave (across the street from the 1880 train) 297 Walnut Ave. Hill City, SD 57745
Date & Timings: Oct 7th (9am – 6pm)
* Fees are time sensitive. Fee increments scheduled on May 1st, Aug 13th and Oct 4th, 2023
**Team Leader’s Personal Contact Information is required for registering for Marathon Relay.
*** Applicants who are below 18 years old need to have permission from a parent/legal guardian to participate in the race.
Information about the course map & other details for the Run Crazy Horse Marathon & Half Marathon (South Dakota) 2023 is given below
|Marathon/ Half Marathon/ Marathon Relay|
|Course Map & Elevation||Course Map|
All events in the Run Crazy Horse Marathon & Half Marathon have POINT-TO-POINT courses with the below-mentioned Start and Finish points:
|Start Point||Finish Point|
|Marathon/Marathon Relay^||Crazy Horse Memorial grounds||Main Street, Hill City|
|Half Marathon||Crazy Horse Memorial grounds||Main Street, Hill City|
The Fast 5Km & 1K fun run for kids starts at Tracy Hall Park in Hill City and are run downhill on the Mickelson Trail.
Information about the prizes/ awards for the Run Crazy Horse Marathon & Half Marathon (South Dakota) 2023 is given below
- Age group awards go 3-deep in 5 year increments beginning at age group 14-19 and ending at age 75 +.
- 1st place in Masters (40 and over); Super Masters (50 and over); and Ultra Masters (60 and over).
- The winning team in each Marathon Relay category (male/ Female/ Coed/ Masters)will be presented an award and 5 Finisher Medals.
- A shirt and a medal are given to runners upon completion.
2022 and Earlier Edition Results & Photos
- Check 2022 Crazy Horse Marathon and Half Marathon Results here – Marathon, Half Marathon & Marathon Relay.
- Check 2022 Crazy Horse Marathon and Half Marathon Results – 5K.
- Check 2021 Crazy Horse Marathon and Half Marathon Results.
- Check Results for earlier editions of Run Crazy Horse Marathon and Half Marathon.
- No Refunds and No Transfers to other runners.
- No pets, bikes or strollers on the course.
- Both the Marathon (#SD 10002 CM) and Half-Marathon ( #SD 10003 CM) courses are USATF Certified.
- Bus transportation from the Run Crazy Horse Marathon South Dakota’s Host Hotel, Palmer Gulch, and Downtown Hill City is provided. Shuttle service will be also be provided from the finish line back to Crazy Horse Memorial after the race.
- Parking is available at Crazy Horse Memorial on race day. Participants are to park their vehicles near the Finish line and then use the bus transportation to the start.
- Aid stations offer water and PowerAde Drink, oranges, bananas, and pretzels. There will be M & M’s at a few aid stations. Finish line festival has beer and other refreshments.
- The 5 person Marathon Relay will feature four categories; Male, Female, COED (at least 2 female runners), and Masters (all team members 40 or older). The relay exchange points:
- Runner 1- Start to Mountain Trail Head (4.8miles)
- Runner 2-in Custer, just past the Harbach Park Trailhead( 5.25 miles)
- Runner 3-to Mountain Trail Head (5.25 miles)
- Runner 4- to White Horse Road (4.9 miles)
- Runner 5-White Horse Road to finish (6 miles)
Address: Crazy Horse Memorial Custer, SD 57730, United States